Friday, January 17, 2014

Skipping Tuesday

The first view of Zambia!
I have arrived in Zambia!  Tuesday morning, I got on a plane in Charlotte, took a brief flight to Washington, DC, then a much longer flight to Ethiopia. When I arrived in Ethiopia almost 14 hours later, it was Wednesday morning.  It was like Tuesday never existed!  The remainder of my trip to Lusaka (the capital of Zambia) was uneventful. I arrived with my person and luggage all intact and accounted for!  Praise the Lord for His provision!


I have been in Lusaka for the past few days, and have had almost no jet lag thanks to the shear exhaustion of being on a plane or in an airport for 24 hours and the sleep that ensued on my arrival. I have met the SIM Zambia team and have seen a few of the sights. The weather is delightful (70s, occasionally raining), and sleeping under a mosquito net makes me feel like I'm camping. Today I am especially grateful that I arrived in Zambia during mango season (my favorite). I'm also thankful for the unexpected blessing of an icy cold Coke Zero to go with my lunch today (my other favorite)!  
My mosquito-netted bed

Next week (Tuesday), I will be taking an exam to obtain my Zambian medical license, and then off to Mukinge Wednesday morning! I am so thankful to be here in Zambia and to be well on my way to doing what God has been preparing me to do for the last 16 years!  The adventure continues!!
Breakfast mango




2 comments:

  1. So happy you made it there safe and sound, Sarah! God bless you richly! Enjoy some fresh, and I mean *fresh, mangos for us. :) Love ya, Melody

    *fresh: right off the tree; minutes to 1 day old; not imported or from cold storage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I think about you and your adventures many times every day! It is like a mental vacation for me to imagine what you are doing and the excitement of this time. It immediately fills me with joy! Sadie just sighed and said she misses you already. We all do, but it is mixed with a weird feeling of exhilaration at seeing you fulfill you dream.

    ReplyDelete