Friday, December 6, 2013

The end of Chapter 1

Over the last several years, I have read a number of biographies and autobiographies of medical missionaries. In many of their stories, Chapter 1 is all about childhood, high school, college, medical school, and residency. Then comes Chapter 2: arrival on the mission field.

My life up to this point has been so good and so full. But apparently, it's still Chapter 1. 

The past few months have been busy - I took (and passed!) the American Board of Surgery oral board exam. I completed two weeks of orientation and training with SIM to prepare to be a full-time SIM missionary once I have finished my two-year commitment with Samaritan's Purse. I have been working part time at a community hospital in Lincolnton. I have continued to be very involved with my church - St. Giles Evangelical Presbyterian Church - here in Charlotte.  

Recently, I started the process of packing/selling/giving away all of my earthly possessions in preparation for the big move coming up soon. I have already begun saying goodbye to friends and colleagues, to places and routines, and to the familiar stuff of my life. My thoughts and my prayers have become increasingly focused on Zambia, on Mukinge Hospital, and on what the Lord has in store for me there. 

Chapter 1 is very quickly coming to an end. Stay tuned for Chapter 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment